BINGO FOR THURSDAY MARCH 24, 2016 IS CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER!!!!!
@Morristown NY Volunteer Fire Department
The Morristown Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad would like to welcome their community members, and friends abroad to their website. Through this site, the members of the Morristown Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad hope to bring you important information about the organization and it's involvements. The MVFD Members believe this site will add yet another great service to those who support them.
Here you'll find a community news section, a news section for the squad, a community calendar of events, a list of the members, important contact information, and more importantly - the stations all mighty BINGO Schedule. If the weather seems bad, or if you've heard of a cancellation, check here before heading out the door. We'll always let you know the latest information.
Morristown Fire Department History
The St. Lawrence County Hook & Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized in1894, sometime prior to the 7th of May. E.W. Hooker was the First Foreman of the Company. The Company met at the Gleanor Office until Chapman Hall over the glove works was rented as a meeting hall on May 9, 1894.
The first fire call answered by the company was on July 4th 1894, when they quickly extinguished a fire on the roof of the warehouse of A. Rowlands. The first major fire occured on October 14, 1894 when six stores and two houses were destroyed.
On July 4, 1900, the St. Lawrence County Hook & Ladder Co. No. 1 started the tradition of a Fourth of July Celebration. Although this tradition has suffered many interruptions, it has continued to the present.
In 1910, a hose reel was purchased and the St. Lawrence County Hose Co. No. 1 was organized. The Hook & Ladder and the Hose Companies remained somewhat separate organizations each with their own set of officers. In 1914 the first reference is made to the Morristown Fire Department as comprising both Companies. William J. Loose was the Chief of the Fire Department at the time.
Throughout this time the Morristown Fire Department provided yeoman fire service to the Village of Morristown and the surrounding area. In addition, the Fire Department was one of the centers of the social life of the community.
The next major piece of fire equipment acquired by the department for its fire service was a new truck purchased in May, 1935, at the cost of $300. This Ford pumper served the department faithfully for many years. The Ford pumper was reputed to be an exceptional piece of equipment, with a pumping capacity far beyond expectations. Although replaced by other equipment after the second World War, the Ford pumper was used as back-up protection for the Village.
After the Second World War, with the return of many men to the community, a major up-dating of the equipment of the department was undertaken to improve fire service.
During 1948 an E & J Resuscitator was purchased and used effectively as part of the rescue equipment. In August of 1949 the Fire Department purchased a 1938 LaSalle ambulance. About the same time a GMC chassis was purchased and used for the construction of a rural pumper. Utilizing a Chrysler motor and a pump from a surplus trailer, the Department purchased iron plate and angles, and fabricated a body which included a six hundred gallon tank. The project of constructing the pumper covered six months and demanded many hours of donated labor from most of the members of the Department.
With the above mentioned equipment, along with a Pierce-Arrow Squad Car, the Morristown Fire Department faced a housing problem. Late in 1949, the members of the Department converted part of the village hall into a fire hall. The house warming for the new fire hall was held on January 9, 1950. The hall provided parking for the vehicles, storage for related equipment, a recreation-meeting room and kitchen facilities. This hall with further modifications and improvements was used until 1970.
Since 1950, the Morristown Fire Department has continued to improve and increase equipment in order to improve its service to the community. The Fire Service was improved by the acquisition of a tanker-pumper and a large tank truck. The Rescue Service was augmented by the acquisition in 1965 of a Ford Econoline van as an emergency vehicle, and the ambulance was replaced in 1968 by the purchase of a 1964 Cadillac ambulance.
1970 was a banner year for the Morristown Fire Department. The Department purchased a new Sanford pumper, a major addition to the Department's firefighting capabilities. In 1970, the department dedicated and moved into its 80 feet by 60 feet new fire station located at 200 Morris Street in the Village of Morristown, Bernard N. Crosby was Fire Chief. The Fire Department still uses this fire station but in 1976 the department added a 70 feet by 60 feet addition for use as the bingo hall, Mike Bogart was Fire Chief when the bingo hall was added. In 1999, a 30 feet by 60 feet addition was added on to house the departments two ambulances and the tractor trailer tanker, Kevin Crosby was Fire Chief during this addition.
The Morristown Fire Department currently runs approximately 400 to 450 calls a year. The Department has a 1988 FMC Pumper, a 2003 Spartan Pumper, 1995 Tractor Trailer Tanker holding 6,500 gallons of water, a 2006 Seagrave Pumper/Tanker holding 2000 gallons of water, a 1993 Heavy Rescue, a 1998 GMC Dive Bus, a 1999 Ford E-450 Type III ambulance, a 2008 Chevy C-4500 Medium duty Type I ambulance and a 1996 rescue boat.
From Everyone at the Station - Welcome to our Site, We hope you enjoy it !